GU Original Cola review summary: Cola Me-Happy is a cola-flavored, caffeinated energy gel. At 32 g, it delivers 100 calories and 22 g of carbohydrates, of which 7 g are from sugars. Other notables include 60 mg of sodium, 40 mg of potassium, 40 mg of caffeine from green tea extract, and a mix of the three BCAAs. The flavor has a mild spicy kick and a pleasant bitterness to balance the sweetness of the gel. We wouldn’t recommend fueling an entire marathon with only this flavor, but it’s certainly a nice change of pace to prevent sweetness fatigue.
GU Energy Lab, one of the most popular sports nutrition brands, offers arguably the most extensive energy gel portfolio. Over the years, Runivore has reviewed the company’s three energy gel series – Original, Roctane, and Liquid – and consumed many different flavors.
Today, let’s talk about one of the more “exotic” flavors from the Original product line – Cola Me-Happy.
Spoiler alert! It’s the energy gel series’ second-best flavor, in my opinion. Click here if you want to find out which one is my favorite.
What is GU Cola Me-Happy energy gel? Marketing highlights
GU Cola Me-Happy is a caffeinated, cola-flavored energy gel. Here are several product claims:
- Contains both glucose (maltodextrin) and fructose to allow you to quickly digest more carbohydrates without gastrointestinal distress.
- Provides 60 mg of sodium, the electrolytes you lose most through sweating.
- Includes branded-chain amino acids (BCAAs) to prevent muscle breakdown and fatigue.
- Delivers 40 mg of caffeine
What are the ingredients and nutrition facts of GU Cola Me-Happy energy gel?
At 32 g, GU Cola Me-Happy contains 100 calories and 22 g of carbohydrates, of which 7 g are from sugars. Other notables include 60 mg of sodium, 40 mg of potassium, 40 mg of caffeine from green tea extract, and a mix of the three BCAAs – l-leucine, l-valine, and l-isoleucine.
Based on the ingredient label, the energy gel also includes medium chain triglycerides (MCT), but probably a minimal amount and thus the zero fat content.
What are the taste and consistency of GU Cola Me-Happy?
While the nutritional profile of Cola Me-Happy is typical of the Original series, its flavor stands out.
Energy gels are essentially syrupy, sugary water, which doesn’t sound appealing and usually isn’t in reality. However, this GU flavor has a mild spicy kick and a pleasant bitterness to balance the sweetness of the energy gel.
Regarding consistency, just like other GU Original gels, it’s on the thicker side of the spectrum.
How’s the packaging of GU Cola Me-Happy?
It comes in the standard GU gel sachet – compact and easy to open. It will fit in almost any fuel-carrying gear. It’s good to be one of the top-selling energy gel brands because it means most gear manufacturers will ensure their pockets and compartments are designed to accommodate the GU sachet’s size and shape.
Is Cola Me-Happy effective?
I fueled a 16 km easy run with three Cola Me-Happy energy gels. Here are a few personal takes:
1. While I found the energy gel quite delightful, it’s not the kind of flavor you can consume pack after pack. Since some runners might need to eat up to 6-7 gels for a marathon, I wouldn’t recommend fueling an entire race with just this flavor. Have one or two packs of Cola Me-Happy as part of your fuel plan. Its unique taste is a great way to combat sweetness fatigue.
2. I believe 40 mg of caffeine, roughly the same as a cup of coffee, is just right to provide an extra boost. Cola Me-Happy’s caffeine source is green tea extracts, which gives me a much lighter and refreshing “high” than caffeine from coffee.
3. GU Original is a trusty and stomach-friendly option. It’s widely available and provides many things the body needs to keep moving – generous amounts of sugar and electrolytes as well as some extras such as BCAAs and MCT (even though their benefits are often unnoticeable).
4. There are superior energy gels when it comes to taste and effectiveness, but they’re often more expensive. Because of its affordability and wide availability, GU Original is still one of my favorites for everyday training.